Q: Why would Oil Pressure Light come on while braking?

asked by on October 25, 2016

I read online that 2005 Subaru Legacy GT can go as long as 7500 miles as opposed to the traditional 3000 between oil changes, especially since i am running synthetic oil, which some even say can last longer than the 7500 in normal conditions. I have only let my car go past the 3000 mile recommendation by about 2000 miles, so 5k total and yet my oil pressure light flickers on while braking or idle at stop lights. it turns off while driving. What is the problem?

Hello. I don’t know how often you check your oil level, but I would certainly check it now. Turbo-charged engines consume a bit more oil during an oil change interval than non-turbo engines, and it’s possible your oil level is low enough to "slosh" away from the oil pickup in the oil pan during aggressive braking. The oil pressure light flickering at an idle is a worrisome indicator as well, suggesting worn connecting rod or crankshaft bearings. It may be time to get this looked at by a professional. Have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect the Oil Pressure Light in person for a precise diagnosis and repair.