Q: Okay, my car is sputtering while driving and then jerks. Then after about 10 to 20 miles it cuts off when I come to a complete stop.

My car cuts off after 20 to 30 miles. It also sputters and jerks before it happens And the rpm will drop to 0. But after 30 min. It will crank back up. So what could the problem be? I've changed the fuel pump but the problem still happens.

Sounds like the fuel system is being interrupted when you are driving. Check the following:

• There could be a clogged fuel filter. If enough particles accumulate in the fuel filter the pressure at the fuel rail can get low enough to cause the engine to misfire.

_________________________________

• There could be a failing fuel pump or a wiring issue on the fuel pump. As fuel pumps age their ability to pressurize fuel diminishes because the brushes in the electric motor wear out. The wiring to the fuel pump could also make the pump loose its ability to operate properly thus making the fuel pressure drop at times.

_________________________________

• There could be a bad fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. If the fuel pressure regulator fails, then the fuel rail will drop in pressure during the time that the regulator is not working.

_________________________________

If you need further assistance with your engine sputtering while driving, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• Okay, my car is sputtering while driving and then jerks. Then after about 10 to 20 miles it cuts off when I come to a complete stop.