Q: Could the Traction Control System (TCS) lock your wheels?

asked by on November 15, 2016

Some nights ago I took friends home on my 2014 Silverado z71 . There where seven 200lbs person where only five fit. While turning at low speed on a traffic light I heard loud banging under the carriage. Right there we turned around and the knocking stopped . It's been a week and the truck looks ok . Could this be related to the TCS ? Was the tire locked up and didn't free until I completely stopped? Thank you for your help .

Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement $108.10 - $630.75 Get a Quote
Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Your vehicle is designed to haul lots of weight and a trailer behind it. The noise could be from the traction control system (TCS) activating when in a turn. If a wheel speed sensor is not functioning correctly, then the TCS will think that the vehicle is slipping on the road and will apply the brakes to that wheel. Check the wheel speed sensors for any dirt or oil on them. Check the wires to them and see if the wires are connected and secure. Also, look under the vehicle for any damaged areas or anything out of the ordinary. If your tires are too close to the fenders and your cab was overloaded, it is possible for the tread of the tires to come in contact with the fender making the same sound. In this case, a lift or changing the tire size will fix the issue. If you need further assistance with the loud noise that your are hearing during a turn, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr