Q: Second time on same wheel 4 or more of 6 lug nuts snapped off while driving

asked by on July 10, 2016

Driving down the fwy 2 weeks ago and got terrible death wobble and pulled over to find that 4 of my 6 lug nuts have snapped off. I recently had the same problem and replaced hub assembly. What could be causing this?

The problem may not be the hub or studs, but the rim. Look at the inside of the rim-centering hub to see if it has damage where it has not been seated properly or is unable to be seated. If the wheel is not seating and the lugs are over tightened, then they will snap when the wheel flexes. Make sure the wheel can sit all the way on the hub after the studs are replaced or the hub is replaced. To have this looked at, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the car and let you know how to best proceed.