Q: Clicking noise when turning wheels. Is this type of job going to cost thousands or should I get a new car?

asked by on October 30, 2016

I usually hear loud . Clicking noise when I'm turning my wheels also helicopter noise when driving more of a roar sound in the front of my Monte Carlo I had it looked at i was told it's my cv boots and wheel bearings any idea what type of money I'll be spending

Hey there. As you may know, the CV joints are the connection that transfers power from the transmission to the wheels by the use of the CV joints and drive shafts. They have a rubber boot that covers them to keep them free of dirt and debris.

Over time, these rubber boots will tear allowing dirt and other debris to get inside the joints which causes them to wear out prematurely. When this happens you may notice a clicking, popping sound or potentially some vibration. The key to correcting this is having these replaced before they get too bad and cause catastrophic damage to the axles making the car inoperable.

Wheel bearings are also prone to wearing out over time due to dirt and other debris getting into them and causing metal on metal damage due to their finite tolerances. This can also happen when they are not properly lubricated, again causing metal-on-metal damage and excessive heat due to friction. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the clicking noise and give you an estimate on the repairs so that you’ll have a better idea of how much this will cost before you decide on selling or repairing the car.