Q: What regular maintenance should be done on a car and how often? I want a schedule of things to do and check. Car is 7 months old.

I'd like a list of tasks and how often to do them to keep your car in good shape. For example, every X months, get this fluid changed. Or, every X months, check if this part needs to be changed. I know about changing the oil every 3000 to 5000 miles but, for example, what other fluids need regular changing? What parts need to be checked?

New Cars typically do not require much maintenance in the beginning. As long as you change the oil when it is scheduled, your car should be okay. We recommend changing the oil every 5000 miles. Most cars now have a maintenance reminder on the dash that will tell you when your next oil change is due. What we do is perform a 50 point inspection during every oil change that will tell you if any fluid is leaking or if anything needs to be added to the engine or transmission. If you keep all your fluids up and have regular oil changes, then you should not need to have any other maintenance performed until around 30,000 miles. A tune up is recommended at that time that consists of changing your air filter, replacing your spark plugs and wires, changing your cabin air filter, and cleaning your fuel injection. At around 90,000 miles, your next tune up should include a serpentine belt and tensioner replacement and possibly have the timing belt and water pump replaced if necessary. At 90,000 miles, this is also good time to have the transmission service that consists of having the fluid drained and filter and pan gasket replaced.

• What regular maintenance should be done on a car and how often? I want a schedule of things to do and check. Car is 7 months old.