Q: Check engine light & caution light is on? What is wrong?

A little under 2 weeks ago, my engine light came on and my car overheated,I had a mechanic to look at it. He changed the thermostat and thermostat gasket. The next day my engine light comes back on. My car stutters when I'm trying to gas up. Now my car won't start. It cranks on, but it seems like there isn't enough power to keep it going. Its not the battery, could i need a tune up...change of spark plugs since it helps with giving power to the engine? What else could it be?

A: Hello there, a few common faults will cause...

Hello there, a few common faults will cause your 2003 Acura CL to overheat and have the check engine light illuminated. Without knowing what codes your vehicle is displaying I can only offer general advice. The thermostat and gasket are a great place to start with overheating issues, especially if it was leaking or the code was referring to the thermostat. From your description it sounds like the overheating issues are resolved at this point, so the vehicle just runs poorly now and has a lack of power. Likely faults that will cause these symptoms are the fuel pump, spark plugs, coil, crankshaft position sensor, ignition switch, fuel filter, alternator, or a wiring harness fault. A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose your lack of power and hard to start issue and make any repairs required to resolve the issue.