Q: a lot of play in rear axle.

asked by on February 14, 2017

a lot of play at the yoke of the rear axle.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The rear end pinion engages with a ring gear and the other end of the pinion is supported on a tapered roller bearing. If there is any radial play in the pinion or axles itself, there is a problem with the rear axle bearings or the seals. This tends to create the play within the axle and can cause grinding or a banging noise as the axle spins and comes to a stop. However, there could be other issues including a stripped internal gear or the axle shaft itself being damaged that could be the cause of this problem. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location first and complete a car is making a noise inspection; so they can pinpoint the source of this problem and recommend the right repairs.