Key won't turn in the ignition keys ignition system

Q: Key won't turn in the ignition

asked by on October 20, 2016

How do I get my key to turn in the ignition

Hello.

If the key is not turning in the ignition then it may be possible that the key or cylinder are worn or damaged. I would carefully examine the key for any signs of wear or damage which may be preventing it from unlocking and turning the cylinder correctly.

It may also be possible that the cylinder itself is worn, and can no longer properly accept the key. In most cases a repair of this nature will require replacement of the key and cylinder together.

I would also make sure that the steering wheel isn’t locked and preventing the key from turning. To check this, you can step on the brake, and turn the steering wheel to one side, while simultaneously turning the key. When doing so make sure to gently turn the key, and not force it, as it could break off in the cylinder if turned with too much force.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to you to diagnose the issue with your key in the ignition and help you make the necessary repairs.