Q: Will the idler pulley keep my car from cranking . 1999 Mercury Mystique

Will not start,sounds as if the battery is almost dead(it has a good charge) there was a noise coming from the motor in the area of the belt,pullys, ect. Was told it was the tentioner pully making the noise.now my car will not turn over.it will not crank by jumping it off or pushing it off. Wondering if it could be the tentioner pully or something else.not sure what to check or try.

Hi - a failing idler pulley can certainly keep your alternator from charging properly, resulting in a dead battery, which would prevent the engine from starting of course. The idler pulley bearing may have been failing, or possibly a bearing in the alternator - resulting in a slipping serpentine belt. A slipping serpentine belt may or may not have turned on the "Battery" warning on your instrument panel. I suspect you battery is really not in a good state, and recommend a battery not charging inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnosis, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Will the idler pulley keep my car from cranking . 1999 Mercury Mystique