Q: I have a front end squeak on my 2012 Sportage. It is a "rubber" sounding squeak. It was suggested this may be a bushing. It squeak

asked by on March 15, 2017

I have a front end squeak on my 2012 Sportage 2wd. It is a "rubber" sounding squeak that happens when I drive over rougher pavement or unimproved roads. Someone has suggested a bad bushing. I am not mechanical. Can you lubricate (grease) points in the front suspension and would this help?

Suspension bushings are designed to do a few things. They help mount and isolate components like control arms, sway bars, and engine/suspension cradles. They serve a double function to isolate the body and interior from road noises. Having suspension components mounted without bushings would transmit every little ripple, pebble, and sound, to the interior of the car and to your ears. Typically, these bushings are made of rubber while some performance vehicles may have polyurethane bushings. Polyurethane is typically reserved for performance vehicles and when modifying vehicles because it is less compliant. As the rubber bushings age, the rubber gets dry and hard. The first sign that they may be due for replacement is the squeaking noise you hear. The rubber will start to fall apart and eventually lead to poor handling and maybe even some clunking sounds. Control arm bushings and sway bar bushings are the most common causes of the squeaking sound over bumps. Another source is ball joints. As the grease within the ball joints wears away over time, the metal parts internal to the ball joint can rub against each other and create a similar squeaking or even creaking. Have a certified technician inspect the vehicle to find the exact source of the noise over bumps.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr