Q: My car does not start.

asked by on February 12, 2016

My car does not start. The Ignition key turns and the engine attempts to start but does not. It smells like burnt gas after I attempt to start the car. I checked the battery and it is fully charged. All the lights in the car work as well. Don't know whether it is the alternator, fuel pump, or a position sensor?

Hello. Many things can cause a crank-no start condition. Lack of fuel is one and can be caused by a failing fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, or clogged fuel injectors. If you say that you smell fuel, then it could also be lack of spark from failing ignition coils or spark plugs. A good thing to check would be the timing. If the timing has skipped a tooth in the timing system from high miles and lack of maintenance, the vehicle will crank but won’t start. This can cause severe engine damage. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the no-start condition your vehicle is encountering and suggest an appropriate repair.