Q: How to set correct timing of cam gear to cam alignment.

One of the local mechanics messed up the timing on the volvo while replacing the water pump and timing belt. Not sure why he removed the cam gears. We replaced the damaged valves but need to know how to correctly align the cam gear to cam for proper timing.

Hi there. You will need to get a cam alignment gear or something that will hold the camshafts together. Then align up the camshafts to the correct alignment with both dots facing the two slots on the top of the engine. Then insert the timing camshaft lock tool to hold the camshaft from turning. Put on a new timing belt and adjust it tight. Then remove the camshaft timing lock tool. Rotate the engine 720 degrees and make sure that the dots realign up. If you need further assistance with timing your engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. How to set correct timing of cam gear to cam alignment.