Q: Car sputters/stops at red lights and won't restart

While in traffic or stopped at a red light/stop sign, my car sputters and then stops completely. When I put it back in 'park' it starts up. However, now it will not restart unless I wait a couple of hours; then it will start. I surely would appreciate your expert suggestions as to what this is.

Hello. This can be caused by a few things. Most of the time it is a failure in the crankshaft position sensor. The sensor fails and causes the computer to lose engine speed signal which turns it off. I have also seen the fuel pump overheat and cause the pressure to drop or the relay for the fuel pump to fail and cause this. Both are common issues. I usually monitor the crank signal when this occurs to see if it is lost before it stalls. If it is, then I replace the sensor. If not then I check the fuel pressure. If you need to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your sputtering issue and replace the crankshaft position sensor if necessary.