Q: 1988 Chevy C60 dump truck. Grinding noise from transmission while in gear

asked by on August 10, 2016

1988 Chevrolet C60 dump truck 5 speed transmission (I think it's a spicer) with a 2 speed rear. 366 gas motor. 2 PTOs one on each side the trans. One day the truck locked up and wouldn't move in the drive way. I pulled the driveshaft out and slid axles out then rolled it out of the way.(thought it maybe a rear end problem but nope) After messing with it I figured out that when you put it in gear and try to move forward or reverse the truck moves a little bit then just makes a grinding sound definattly coming out of transmission. Checked the fluid and it was low. Tranny is toast now?

You might want to remove both PTOs first. They may be seized or have bad bearings. You may also have burned out the input bearings. The transmission will need to be removed and torn down to see what the damage is to the bearings, gears and synchronizers. I recommend finding a reputable transmission shop to do the job.