Q: Air conditioner clutch doesn't engage

My car’s air conditioner clutch isn't engaging. It’s been quite a while since I've used the A/C and it’s getting very hot where we live. I refilled the unit with a 14oz can, but the clutch still won’t come on. Also, I unplugged and tapped the air conditioner relay. Nothing happened, but I did notice that it was hot. I replaced an a/c fuse on the fuse box by the battery, plus I checked the interior fuses. There is corrosion around the exterior fuse box. Could that corrosion around the exterior fuse box be causing it not to work?

Hello there, a few different faults can cause the AC clutch not to engage on your 1998 Nissan 200SX. The most common would be the refrigerant is low, AC high pressure switch, AC clutch failure, or lack of voltage to the clutch. If you would like to have this checked, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your AC issue and let you know what repairs should be made.