Q: Failed smog check

asked by on February 10, 2016

I failed my smog check. The technician pointed out a radiator leak and also a weird clicking noise coming from the exhaust.

Neither of these issues should cause you to fail a smog test. Smog test look at your cars emission output. The radiator might be leaking and need to be repaired but it has nothing to do with your emissions. The clicking noise form the exhaust is usually heard when the engine is first turned off after it has been driven and is pretty hot. It is the normal noise of metal cooling off slowly and again has nothing to do with your emissions. Consider giving YourMechanic a call to help diagnose your exhaust’s clicking noise as well as help you repair your coolant leak.