Q: Vehicle starts runs then dies slowly

We start the vehicle usually with the throttle floored, sometimes it starts with out it. It runs for about thirty seconds then bogs down and dies almost as if it's not getting fuel. We changed fuel pump asembly. Changed cAp rotor plugs and wires. Sometimes we get smoke (smells of fuel) coming from throttle body. What could be causing this

A: It sounds like the engine is flooded. This ...

It sounds like the engine is flooded. This is most likely caused by the carburetor float being stuck, or the needle and seat is stuck open or not sealing. The flooding will cause the oil and filter to get overfilled and contaminate the oil in most cases.

I recommend that you take off the air filter and look into the throttle opening of the carburetor using a mirror. Check if you see fuel pouring into the engine when you cycle the key. If so, then the carburetor is the cause and will need to be overhauled or replaced, as well as the oil and filter.

If you’d need assistance with these checks feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your cars running problem. Once the problem is pinpointed the mechanic can then perform the necessary repairs.