Q: High RPM, cannot shift gears on 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

My car has gone 230,000 miles. When I'm driving, it would unexpectedly start revving around 2300 RPM. Then, I wouldn't be able to shift gears. The dashboard shows the check engine light on when this happens. It would only shift into reverse. What is causing this?

Hello. We will be happy to assist you with your 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII. I suggest to have the vehicles computer scanned and trouble codes retrieved by a technician. Being that the Check Engine Light comes on when the problem occurs, the trouble code stored will likely point directly to the bad component. Your description of the engine revving leads me to believe that the trouble code will be in a relationship torque converter or the transmission clutch control solenoid. If you would like to have this looked at, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the shifting trouble and advise you on the appropriate repair.