Q: Car keeps going into limp mode.

asked by on December 07, 2016

Ever since problem appered we have replaced throttle body because of the sensor and the car brake pedal. Both problems were described when the check engine was on. Disappeared when replaced. But now it keeps going to limp mode whenever it feels like it (it can be hot or cold i could drive a while or as soon as I turn it on happen 3 times a day or once every 3 days). Now it says that the problem is electrical communication failure (what the mechanic read when he scanned it when it was in that state). But now we cant manage to get it like that so he could fix it. Any ideas where to start looking?

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. When this vehicle goes into limp mode it is usually because the computer is trying to protect the power train from damage. Most of the time when this happens intermittently it is due to a voltage issue. I usually start by checking the ground connections and the ignition switch to see if there is any voltage drop in either one. I have seen a lot of issues the the negative battery cables having corrosion or loose connections and causing this. If the connections and the ignition switch are fine then I check the computer data lines. If the computers are not communicating right then this will also occur. This is not as common. This is assuming that the throttle body that was replaced is good and has good connections. If you are looking to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the car is going into limp mode] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/loss-of-power-inspection

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr