Q: DTC CODE P1604

asked by on December 05, 2016

Check engine light has been on since i bought the car 2 years ago. I need to take it to emissions and so the DTC code is P1604. PCM? The car drives great no problems with it. Any advice would be much appreciated! THANKS

Hello. P1604 is the trouble code for an issue with the vehicle’s starting system circuit. This code is set off when the computer detects that the starter was not cranking when commanded to, or that the starter was continuing to crank when it should not have been. This can be caused by an issue with the starter, starting circuit, or with the computer. If there is no apparent issues with the vehicle it may also be possible that the code has been stored for a long time, and just needs to be cleared. If you are unsure I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your issues.