Q: Grinding during shifting from third into fourth gear and reverse

My car has gone about 140,000 miles. It seems to have some problems with its manual transmission. There is this grinding sound that can be heard during shifting form third gear into fourth gear. Also, it appears while the clutch is pressed all the way and the car is going into reverse. I would like to know if this is serious. How can I fix it? I appreciate your help.

A: Hello. There are some common issues with th...

Hello. There are some common issues with this car that will cause this. Most of the time, changing the oil in the transmission will help. If the fluid does not fix it, then it can be a failing clutch, as this starts to affect the higher gears first. But most of the time when it affects one gear, it is caused by a failing syncro in the transmission meaning it will need to be removed and rebuilt. If you need to have it looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s shifting problem.