Q: My idle goes up to 2, then drops down to 1. Is this normal?

asked by on December 06, 2016

when my car start up idle goes up and drop back down is there a problem

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

This is perfectly normal when first starting the car in the morning as this is part of the cold start warm up process. If this is something that happens all of the time, then you may have a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and repair your idle air control valve.