Q: Lost car remote

I have lost my car remote which only unlocks my doors, can I simply buy a new one and program it and the old one won't work anymore?

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Yes you can get another remote and program it to match your vehicle, but make sure that the remote is programmed to the VIN of the vehicle if you tend to get it from the dealership. Otherwise, to program the remote, simply turn the ignition to the ON position until you hear a charm, then hold the unlock and lock buttons on the remote for about 10 seconds or until you hear another charm. Then take the remote and unlock and lock the doors 3 times. Your remote should be working good now. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional to help you with your remote to your vehicle.