Question about acceleration improvement. corolla performa...

Q: Question about acceleration improvement.

asked by on October 31, 2016

I am looking to purchase a 2015 toyota corolla le. I read some reviews and noticed that many complaints regard poor acceleration. I was wondering what the most cost effective way to improve the acceleration is. It seems cold air intake is a good start, but I dont know anything about cars so i figured i would ask someone who did. Please provide as many options as you can think of.

There are zero options to "improve" the acceleration of the vehicle very simply because if such "options" actually existed Toyota would have already implemented them on the assembly line. That is who wouldn’t want better acceleration?

Toyota selected and tuned the engine to put out maximum power while still meeting Federal emissions requirements. So, the computer that the car is equipped with runs off existing sensor outputs and the setup cannot be modified, and thence "evaluated" excepting a circumstance where you have a dynamometer and test rig as well as emissions testing equipment. Such involves a million dollar, or frankly 10 or 100 million dollar laboratory. Leaving aside physical reality and the existence of Toyota’s already prodigious efforts to tune and optimize the engine in the 2015 Corolla, of immediate practical importance is the fact that no repair facility can advocate engine modifications to a production vehicle that have unknown effects on vehicle emissions.

The Corolla is a good car and if you elect to buy one, be sure to get a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection done by one of our mobile technicians. So that you are fully informed going into the transaction and not later surprised by hidden damage.

Finally, by all of the foregoing I don’t want to discourage you from still "looking" for modifications or even experimenting but the reality is you will literally need a lab to measure the effects. A problem is the companies that sell products such as aftermarket "chips", or other "strategies" do not necessarily have ANY evidence that such modifications are beneficial or that they do not create excess emissions that violate Federal standards.

With regard to any performance improvement option that you do find and/or want to consider, be sure to ask the vendor, or promoter, for the comprehensive test data from an independent testing laboratory that proves the benefit and under what operating "conditions". If there is no data, or they are not willing to give it out, there is no benefit.