Q: Starts only when moving flywheel

My automatic transmission will only start if I go underneath the car and move the flywheel drive plate. I was having problems starting my car, so I decided to buy a new starter and install it. I went underneath the car to move the flywheel on the transmission with a screwdriver and it started! Hooray! This is the only way that I can get it to start though. My starter will crank but the engine won’t. Do you have any thoughts or ideas to help me solve these problems? Thank you so much.

Hello there, there are a few potential reasons for why your car will only start when the flywheel is turned. The most common would be the crankshaft position sensor, weak or binding starter, or a faulty cam sensor. If you are still having problems, have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose the turnover issue and guide you with the correct repair.

3. Starts only when moving flywheel