Q: Truck will crank but will not start

One day my truck wouldn't start, after two tries she started right up. Slowly this got worse to the point that it will only crank. It will crank, but it won't start. Replaced the fuel pump and the crankshaft position sensor because we thought they were the solution to the problem, but it still won't start. Out of coincidence, it has randomly started twice; once when testing the inertia switch under the glovebox with a light tester, and once when we removed the positive line from the battery. In both cases we turned off the car and tried once again to start it up, but it refused and only cranks. One thing is that the theft light rapidly blinks when the key is turned to the on position, and when the vehicle is off the theft light casually blinks. Once the key is turned to the on position for a minute or two, the theft light blinks more slowly, but truck still won't start. Battery was also replaced about a month or two ago.

The best way to approach a starting issue like this is to break it down and start with one system at a time. Keep it as simple as possible. If you have not already checked for spark, you will want to use a tester to do so. Check every plug. The fuel system will have needed a new fuel filter with the pump, and if you did not replace the filter, do that immediately.

You will also want to test the fuel pressure when starting and make sure the system is providing the engine with what it needs. You can also test the resistance and other stats on the injectors and make sure they are within specifications. And as always when making multiple repairs, verify the repairs you made previously are holding. Check all electrical connections, mounting bolts, torque specs, ect.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your no start condition and help you fix it accordingly.

3. Truck will crank but will not start