Q: 97 Honda Civic won’t shift automatically

It won’t shift automatically. D4 and D3 just slip and won’t lock in. Reverse works fine and so does park and neutral. Second gear works fine and if I shift to D3 from second then it works like a charm. Is my transmission going to go out though?

Hi Taylor. Thanks for contacting us today. It is possible that your transmission has an inner seal or gasket that has failed or it simply has debris inside the hydraulic lines that needs to be flushed out. However, flushing a transmission that is older like your 97’ Civic can cause internal damage if the seals are worn out, so I would recommend having a professional transmission specialist in your city look at your Honda to determine what needs to be done. If the transmission is going out, it would probably be better to replace the vehicle instead of trying to fix (as the cost of replacement will likely be more than the car is worth).

3. 97 Honda Civic won’t shift automatically