Q: How do I safely park while towing a trailer?

How do I safely park while towing a trailer?

Parking your car with a trailer attached can be tricky. It’s not as simple as finding a spot and putting the car in park. You need to follow a few important steps:

1. Find a parking spot long enough to accommodate your vehicle and the trailer (preferably level, not on a grade).

2. Hold the brakes firmly.

3. Have a passenger block both rear wheels of the trailer.

4. Let off the brakes.

5. Engage the parking brake.

6. Put the car in park.

7. Turn off the engine

Tips

• Try to avoid parking on a grade as the trailer will tend to roll down.

• When starting on a grade, make sure to hold the brake before putting the car in gear or releasing the parking brake. Pull forward gently and stop so you can retrieve the tire chocks.

3. How do I safely park while towing a trailer?