Q: How do I safely park while towing a trailer?

asked by on December 14, 2015

How do I safely park while towing a trailer?

Parking your car with a trailer attached can be tricky. It’s not as simple as finding a spot and putting the car in park. You need to follow a few important steps:

1. Find a parking spot long enough to accommodate your vehicle and the trailer (preferably level, not on a grade).

2. Hold the brakes firmly.

3. Have a passenger block both rear wheels of the trailer.

4. Let off the brakes.

5. Engage the parking brake.

6. Put the car in park.

7. Turn off the engine

Tips

• Try to avoid parking on a grade as the trailer will tend to roll down.

• When starting on a grade, make sure to hold the brake before putting the car in gear or releasing the parking brake. Pull forward gently and stop so you can retrieve the tire chocks.