Q: Doors do not lock/unlock with keyfob buttons

I noticed last week that the doors do not lock, nor unlock when I use the buttons on the key fob (it’s not a smart key). The regular key will unlock the door, which does allow me to get into the car and the doors also still unlock with the button inside the car. Also, I replaced the battery in my fob and that didn’t help either. The buttons just won’t work. When I press the buttons, the red light ‘is’ there. It’s just the doors are not receiving the fob’s signals. Is there something that I can do to fix this myself or will I have to go to the dealer?

I would recommend going to your local auto parts store to test your vehicle’s key fob. Most auto parts stores have a key fob tester sitting on their counter in which you can point your key fob at this sensor and it will tell you whether or not the key fob is producing a signal. If the auto parts store’s sensor does not read your key fobs signal, it is likely that your key fob is faulty and should be replaced to resolve the issues you are having. The auto parts store may also conveniently have the part you need in stock in the event that the key fob has actually failed.

If you are still having problems after testing your key fob, there could be a problem with the lock itself. In that case, I would recommend that you have a professional inspect your door locks to determine if another repair should be made.