Q: I want to know if it's ok to drive to Canada from Massachusetts with bad converter

I noticed that my car has been kind of load and was told that I need to change my manifold converter and the other one that has the flex pip I just wanted to know if it would be OK to drive to Canada from Massachusetts with these type of problems

A: If you have a lack of power, it is not a go...

If you have a lack of power, it is not a good idea to put highway mileage (high RPMs) on your vehicle. It can clog your fuel injectors and damage your engine.

There are two types of catalytic converter damage. One is the fact the chemicals inside the converter are worn causing your vehicle to not exhaust clean air. The second is a clogged catalytic converter which will ’choke’ the engine down not allowing it to breathe properly. The second is a drivability/engine damage concern. A clogged converter will not allow the engine to breathe properly and will cause damage. Symptoms will include a lack of power (especially at higher RPMs) or a general weakness in the performance of the motor.

If you only have a P0420 or P0430 code for catalyst inefficiency without a loss of power, I would be less concerned. If you have a lack of power, then I would not attempt any long trips.

If you’d like to get this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can diagnose your loss of power and replace your catalytic converter if necessary. Good luck.