Q: 98 Firebird's engine cranks without startup and has a code for pending crank position sensor

98 Firebird 3.8. The engine cuts out when I give it gas. It makes a 'pssss' sound and shuts down. Now it cranks but it won't start. I did get a code and a pending crank position sensor, which is weird. My temperature oil pressure gauges have no readings. It says check gauges. Help.

A: If you have no readings when you turn that ...

If you have no readings when you turn that key on, it could be an electrical short. When you hear that noise, check to see where the noise is coming from. Perhaps the ignition switch is broken and it shorted out and there is no longer any power going up.

I do have a video out there that’s called "fixing the car that cranks but doesn’t start up" and if you try out all those things, you can figure out what’s wrong and why it’s not starting. But since you don’t have any readings on any of those gauges, I would assume that either the ignition switch is shorted out, or the main computer or the body control module has a problem with something going on in it. I’ve seen that happen a lot. If you want to have the issue verified by a professional, have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s crank-no-start problem.