Q: My car won't start 2001 Dodge Stratus

The car has been sitting for a little while. The first time I got it jumped, it cranked up, and then 3-4 minutes later it cut back off. I thought it was a battery or alternator problem. I took the battery to get charged and the alternator to get tested and both were said to be in good working order. So I installed them both back in the car myself, and initially when I tried to crank it, it sounded like it tried to turn over and crank, but it didn't. Then each time I tried cranking it after then, it just makes like a low whining sound that lasts as long as I have the key turned, but it doesn't sound like it's trying to turn over or anything. Nothing sounds like it's trying to move. Also, the battery indicator is on, but again, I got both the battery and the alternator tested. The check engine light isn't on, but the brake and oil light is. What could be causing this problem?

Hi there - your problem may be a weak fuel pump, and a bad starter solenoid (relay). The whine you now hear while the key is turned on is probably the fuel pump - a good sign. The fact that you now don’t seem to be getting starter engagement may indicate that the starter solenoid is not sending current to the starter motor, despite having a good battery. I would recommend a starter system inspection](https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/car-is-not-starting-inspection) by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My car won't start 2001 Dodge Stratus