Q: After taken car to body shop for paint job... I received my car with a check engine light and slow take off in gear

asked by on February 28, 2018

Car reverse lights are not working and check engine light is on along with slow increase in speed after a complete stop. Something electrical and slow in changing gears. what could be wrong?

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Check Engine Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The non functioning reverse lights could be due to anything from blown out bulbs to a switch or wiring malfunction. That problem can be resolved if you request an electric problems inspection. With regard to the loss of power, inasmuch as that is accompanied by the illumination of the check engine light, the very first thing to do is download the stored trouble codes with the expectation that the codes will directly inform (direct) the required diagnostic of the malfunction, in your case the loss of power or lack of acceleration. Your most efficient option to get this resolved is to request a check engine light diagnostic. During such a diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would retrieve all the diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that have caused the check engine light to illuminate. Using those codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are tested to pinpoint the cause of the fault or the reason why the check engine light has illuminated. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. In your circumstance, if the resolution of all the stored codes does not fully resolve the vehicle performance issue, then subsequent diagnostic tests are performed to pinpoint the fault. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr