Q: The tachometer goes to nearly 4K RPMs before shifting into second gear. Is that normal?

The engine seems to rev pretty high (up to 4K RPMs when shifting in lower gears. Is that normal?

A: If you are accelerating at a slow to medium...

If you are accelerating at a slow to medium rate then the transmission should shift between 2000 to 3000 rpms. If you are accelerating at a fast rate like at 1/2 to full throttle the transmission will shift at a higher rpm. If the transmission always goes up to 4k rpm no matter haw mush throttle is used then you should have the computer scanned to check for proper speed sensor operation.