Q: It's in drive but won't budge, only moves forward in Drive3 2002 Ford Explorer

asked by on December 17, 2016

My explorer was driving fine one minute, then in an instant locked up and wouldn't budge. I dropped it into 3, and managed to pull into a parking lot. The transmission was rebuilt 2 years ago. It revs high Rpm's while in drive but wont move. Any advice is appreciated

Gears slipping when accelerating Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi - most likely the overdrive sprag (a one-way clutch) in the transmission is slipping, and must be replaced. It must work properly for any forward gear to work. I would recommend a transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, confirm this diagnosis, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr