Q: How to fix the wiring on my alternator?

asked by on October 16, 2016

The main connection to my alternator keeps shorting out and burning up until the wire actually severs itself from the bolt. The first time this occurerd, I cut off the bad wire and attached a new connector to the end. It burned up again. What am I doing wrong

Hello. The system is burning the wire connector due to the connection being weak and loose. The wire got hot and melted the first time due to a loose connection causing heat build up. You should also check the battery and the connections to the battery to make sure the battery is not weak or the connections at the battery are requiring the alternator to overcharge. Have a mechanic replace the wire to the alternator and check the complete charging and starting system for other problems. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the electrical problem and guide your through repairs.