Q: Exhaust Shield rattling and smell

My car has recently been giving me the following problems:

1. As soon as my car finishes idling or warming up in the morning, the cabin smells like exhaust. I smell exhaust sometimes when I'm speeding up to merge onto the highway as well.
  2. Way too much noise is coming from the front of the car. I know this isn't a luxury vehicle, but I have trouble hearing someone talk to me quietly from the back seat.
  3. The exhaust shield is rattling on the exhaust pipes, which makes driving the car very unpleasant.

Is there a way to remedy the smell and the noise? What are some things to look into if I try to fix this myself?

You need to listen to the exhaust pipe and manifold on the engine and see if you can hear where the noise is coming from. If the exhaust pipe is cracked, then I would recommend getting it fixed as soon as possible. Exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment should be diagnosed ASAP as they are not good for you to breathe. You may be able to stop at an exhaust shop and they could put your vehicle up on a lift to tell you where the leak is. Then you could have a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the rattling noise and give you a quote to repair it for you.

3. Exhaust Shield rattling and smell