Q: Car won't start but will turn over - 2007 Volvo S40

i have a 2007 volvo s40i and the alternator belt broke so I replaced the alternator belt and the accessory belt as well. When I try and start it, it just turns over but won't start. I put in a new battery because my instrument panel said power saving mode. I have no trouble codes showing and all the fuses i checked seem to be ok. i been told that the computer needs to be reset so i took off the battery post and waited 30 minutes to see if that would help and it didn't.

Hi there. If the belt broke, then it may have damaged some of the wiring. When the belt breaks, it can hit the wiring going to the crankshaft position sensor which will keep the vehicle from starting. I usually check this and use a scan tool to see what the sensor is reading. If it is reading erratically, or not at all, then there is an issue.

If that sensor is fine, then the issue may be electrical and a scan tool and voltage meter will be needed for further testing. If you plan on getting this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the turn over problem and assist with repairs.