Q: Car will not start or go in gear - 1996 XJ6 Jaguar

asked by on November 03, 2016

I have a 1996 XJ6 Jaguar. My car won't start when I turn the key nor does the gauges move when the key is in the on position. When I apply the brakes I noticed that the brake lights didn't come on. I replace the neutral safety switch as well as the transmission gear shift solenoid. What I need to know is if the brake light switch goes out will that cause the car not to start?

Hi there. In most cases, a malfunctioning brake light will not trigger an error code that renders the engine non-compliant. What may be the cause of this issue is if the transmission gear shift solenoid or neutral safety switch was not properly installed or is not grounded correctly. You might want to retrace your steps on the previous service or contact a local mechanic to help you by completing a no-start inspection. If you would like to have this taken care of by another technician, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the no-start.