Q: STOP fuse blows when I shift out of park.

asked by on May 05, 2017

So any time I shift out of park after I've put a new fuse in, it blows. I've checked the bulbs, and it still happens. Any suggestions? Also when I move the shifter, I hear a clicking noise around the steering wheel, and I can shift out or of park without the ignition on, or without the key in the ignition.

It sounds like you have a failure in your neutral safety switch. This switch normally prevents the operation of the shifter unless the key is in the on position and the brake pedal is depressed. I would recommend having your neutral safety switch tested for proper function by a competant technician. Once this has been done, replacement of the neutral safety switch may be required to resolve this issue. Consider YourMechanic as this inspection can be done from your home or office.