Q: Hi Robert, I'm debating whether or not I should purchase a 2010 GTI.

asked by on August 08, 2017

Hi Robert, I'm debating whether or not I should purchase a 2010 GTI. According to the dealership's website, the vehicle has been serviced when necessary, and no accidents have been reported. There are around 84k miles on it and the price is set at 9200. I was wondering, as a 20 year old in school, will this vehicle be practical in a money sense. I have read many reviews about the 2010 model that say this vehicle is reliable, and I won't be breaking the bank with frivolous repairs, but their are also some that disagree. In any case, I realize a vehicle will require maintenance and service to last, but as an expert I would like to hear your opinion on this. I can also send you a link to the car fax if you'd like as a point of reference.

Hi there. I purchased a similar VW for one of my kids as a first car last year - and it was one of our better financial decisions. The GTI - specifically VW’s 2.0L turbo is peppy, yet incredibly fuel efficient. This is NOT one of the vehicles that fell under the massive VW recalls due to faulty emissions software. Across the board, the GTI rates fairly well in safety, durability and performance. One of the key items to be aware of however is the tendency of suspension components to wear prematurely. With nearly 90,000 miles on the vehicle, the struts should have been replaced at least once; in actuality, possibly twice - depending on the driving done. The price of $9,200 is a bit on the high side, so you might want to offer slightly less - perhaps $8,500 especially if front end components have not been replaced recently. As with any previously owned vehicle, trusting what the dealership says is not always the best way to know how well the vehicle has been maintained. I always recommend to people to have one of our professional mobile mechanics come to the location of the vehicle to complete a pre-purchase car inspection.