Q: Grinding noise coming from the front.

asked by on November 02, 2016

I recently had my car taken in for an oil change and tire rotation. Not even a week later, it started making a grinding noise on the drivers side. (Noise was not there prior to being taken in for oil change) At first I thought it was the brakes, but the grinding also occurs when I'm driving too. It slows down/ is non- existent when I speed up. The car also trembles and shakes when I brake...& just today right under my car was leaking water. I hope I explained in enough detail. Just wondering what my next move should be... without spending too much money. Thank you!

Hi - with the water you see under your vehicle and the grinding noise is a good indication that your water pump needs to be replaced. The grinding noise is the bearing starting to fail. Trembling and shaking while braking is a good indication that your brake rotors are warped, caused from excessive heat. This is a good time to have the brake system inspected and repaired.

Depending on the inspection of the brake system, if the rotors need to be replaced I would install new brake pads also. There is a good chance that during the tire rotation the dust shield on the brakes was hit and is now rubbing on the rotor. This can easily be pushed back and away - no problem! If you would consider, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and further inspect these issue, provide you a quote, and perform all necessary repairs.