Q: Should there be power steering fluid in the rubber boot of the rack and pinion?

I changed the power steering pump on my car. Everything went fine. Took it for a test drive and the steering was still hard to turn. Took tire back off and seen there was a leak. The power steering pump was dry. I squeezed the rubber boot on the rack and pinion and fluid poured out. Don't think this is a good thing?

Hi there. No, there shouldn’t be any fluid coming out of the boot on the steering rack. If there is fluid, then the seal inside the rack has failed. The steering rack end seal is non-serviceable and requires steering rack replacement to repair, along with an alignment afterwards. If you need to have this checked and repaired, a certified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the cause of the power steering fluid leak and proceed with proper repairs.

3. Should there be power steering fluid in the rubber boot of the rack and pinion?