Q: After oil change, car won't accelerate

After finishing changing the oil in my car, I drove it around the block and noticed that it was acting oddly. Then the problem got worse - it wouldn’t immediately accelerate. There was a shaking when it idled and it sounded louder. After getting back home, I immediately checked for too much oil, in case I had added too much and it was slightly above full. After draining around ½ quart of oil, the car restarted. But then it wouldn’t accelerate at all! I proceeded to change the spark plugs. So now, my car has new spark plugs, new oil change… but can’t drive it. It starts and the engine revs, but then won’t accelerate. So, I drained more oil, but this time only a few drips came out. Using a dipstick, it read that it was ‘just under full.’ What should I do next and what do you suggest will correct this problem?

A: Hello! From the pictures I’ve seen it seems...

Hello! From the pictures I’ve seen it seems like the drain plugs for the engine oil and the transmission fluid could be mixed up if not careful. Make sure the right fluid was changed by checking the level of the transmission fluid and verify the correct location of the engine oil drain plug.

Being that the vehicle will not drive if you may benefit from a mobile automotive repair service such as YourMechanic. They will send a professional technician to your location to assess the vehicle’s acceleration issue and get it back moving again.