Q: Shifter in park buts says its in drive

Car was recently towed, and i got it back shifter seemed a bit tight going into gear I drove home and put it in park went to take key out and it would not come out started rolling back and noticed it said it was still in drive. Shifter just moves freely from Park to drive but stays in Drive but also rolls forward and back as if it is in neutral.

Hi There, Unfortunately, it sounds like the shift linkage may have been broken during the tow. This can happen when the car is jammed into gear or forced from one gear to the next. The will not come out of the ignition as a part of the ignition interlock which is a safety feature to keep the key from coming out of the ignition when the car is in gear. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your car.

3. Shifter in park buts says its in drive