Q: Dirt and sand got into the steering stuff now it leaks

The seal protecting the rack and pinion in my 2006 Toyota Sienna broke and have caused dirt and sand to get into the steering parts. I didn’t notice a difference in the feel of the steering until it started leaking steering fluid. Now, I have to get the whole thing replaced. This van has 76,500 miles on it and I do not think that is used enough for a part to fail like that. Could I change how I drive to keep the other one working longer?

Greetings and thank you for writing in with this question! This is a common problem to that generation of Sienna. In April of 2014, Toyota released Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 0030-14) for this specific concern. The TSB outlines the diagnostic and steering rack overhaul procedures. The specific coverage is based on the VIN, and it may or may not be covered under Toyota warranty. Contact your local Toyota dealer, explain the problem, mention the TSB number, and schedule an appointment for an inspection and/or repair. If the vehicle is covered under warranty and the wiring needs to be replaced, it should be covered at no additional cost to you.

3. Dirt and sand got into the steering stuff now it leaks