Q: Car won't start, and rear windshield wipers don't work

My car will not start and it appears to be due to an electrical issue. We replaced the battery 2 weeks ago (with a brand new battery). We had no problems at all, until today, and then the car would not start. It did not cough, struggle or splutter; it just made a clicking sound and would not start. I am going to take it to the mechanic, but would like to know what it is being caused by. Also, I should note that our rear windshield wipers don't work at all, and this too seems to be caused by an electrical issue. Any ideas?

Most likely, these are two separate issues. A vehicle that doesn’t crank or start indicates a problem in the starting/charging system.

It may be that the battery connections didn’t get tightened down properly at the time of replacement. The cables themselves could also be in need of repair, or the starter motor could have failed. The problem could also be in the starting system circuit or there could be an engine mechanical problem, although not likely.

The inoperative wiper could be the result of anything from a blown fuse to a problem with the wiring.

I suggest you double check the battery connections. If everything is good and tight, call a professional for a diagnostic inspection of your no start condition and inoperative wiper, and recommend the best path to repair. The team at YourMechanic is an excellent option since we make house calls.