Q: Possible fixes for overheat

asked by on October 18, 2016

My car overheats and has been doing so for a couple months now. And I have seen it leak possibly water or coolant. So about two weeks ago I had a mechanic from this site come inspect my car and he said the coolant pressure sensors were not working even though I mentioned that I have seen the car leaking coolant. I had him come back and fix it, and during the process, I had to drive to the store to get another sensor because he didn't get it with the ordered items. Anyways my car is overheating again, as I said above, I have seen it leaking water about 3 days ago. I don't know what to do now, I would hate to keep trying to fix it. I have already changed the thermostat and did coolant exchanges.

Good question and I’m sorry about the problem you are having. However, I need to know where your leak is coming from. Is it in the front or the sides? I recently had a customer with the same exact car that had a leaking radiator. That could be your problem. I would look at the radiator with a flash light and see if there is wetness in the fins, if so that would be your issue. There aren’t many places where your antifreeze would leak out. You only have a few hoses and the radiator that would leak on your car. The best way to find a leak is to look from the top to the bottom. Check the upper radiator hose, radiator, and the lower radiator hose. The lower radiator hose will br under the radiator on the driver side. Also, while you are down there check to see if your flush valve is opened. You did say that you recently had a coolant system flush so maybe it just wasn’t closed properly and could save you a little to tighten it. DO NOT TIGHTEN IT TOO TIGHT. If you break it you will probably have to replace the radiator. I hope this will help you find the problem you are having but- if you are finding you need more help with addressing this overheating and leak issue, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or place of business.