Q: Gear shift cable broken

The gear shift cable on my car is broken from the engine side.

Hello, depending on how the shifter cable is broken, the cable, the linkage, or both might have to be replaced. The only way to see what has failed is to visually inspect the cable and linkage. You may have to put it together to see if there is further damage that may not be evident until while it is apart. I would have the aid of mechanic to inspect the cable and linkage for advice on a repair. They will be able to replace your gear shift cable if needed. The linkage will also have to be adjusted for proper gear engagement.